Friday the girls and I went to the local craft fair at the local high school. It's one of the biggest craft shows in the area, and there is always a lot of great stuff at this show. I always get new ideas to make things, find new ornaments or decorations for Christmas.
My sister-in-law found a frame that she loved that was hung up by a ribbon, and just had the glass in it with the word "JOY" with no backing. And she was about to purchase it when I remembered that one of my friends gave me a bunch of 8x10 frames. So I figured I could make these myself, and save her a little bit of money.
So today was the day I decided to try this out for myself.
First I took the backing and the glass out from the frame. Then Phil helped me to drill two holes in the top portion of the frame so we could tie a ribbon in it later. I then hand sanded the frame so the varnish would come off and so that the paint would adhere to it better.
I put about 3 coats of paint on the frame, letting it dry for about a half an hour to an hour in between coats. Then once dried, I took a sanding sponge and sanded the frame in spots so that it would have a worn look to it. And then sealed it with varnish.
I cut out the letters, "JOY" with my Cameo, and adhered it to the glass. I used the wet method to apply the vinyl to the glass. This is where you take some water with a tiny bit of liquid soap and spray it on the glass. The guys at the company I used to work with taught me how to do this. It helps to eliminate bubbles that you get in the vinyl.
I let the water solution dry and then lifted up the transfer tape, and it was done! I like how this looks! I have a few more frames that I think I will make into other crafty projects. I am not so great at the ribbon part, and my SIL offered to do that part. So hopefully I can get a picture of that when it is all done.
These will make great gifts! I can see doing a family name on it, the possibilities are endless!
Simon Says Stamp United We Craft PARTY!!
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment