Friday, July 10, 2009

Embroidered names on hoods


I've been spending the past couple of days embroidering the girls' names on the hoods of their sweatshirts. It's been really fun doing that, once you get everything lined up right, the rest is easy.

I used hoopless embroidery on this, meaning that you hoop the stabilizer and sticky stabilizer, and put the hood on top of the hoop. But the one challenge was, sweatshirt hoods are double layered, with the top layer moving about a bit. So the solution, sew the hood onto the stabilizer as well. That way the material doesn't move while it's being embroidered. :)

Another thing that happened was there was a slight imperfection on one of the hoods. Solution, embroider a softball right on top! LOL I put a piece of water soluable stabilizer on top of the tiny hole, which held it together. And it looks pretty awesome. Now the girls want to have softballs on their hoods too!

I'm so glad that they like their embroidery on their stuff. :)

3 comments:

Kristen said...

wow I am speechless, those are great sweatshirts. And what a unique idea you had to put their names and numbers on the hood. You are one talented embroiderer :o)

Isn't it great when something unexpected is found and a great idea comes out of it, like embroidering the softball on top of the imperfection. That happens to me in crafting ~ a great idea is born!!

Melanie E said...

I know, we call them flopportunities (Debi Boring's word). Thanks! I didn't do the git-r-dun part. That's silkscreened on. I think they cam out pretty cool. :)

Kristen said...

I like that name flopportunities, very appropriate. I'm going to use that from now on :o)