Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Mystery Machine Photo Prop


 A friend at work needed to make a Mystery Machine Photo prop for her nephew's birthday this coming weekend.  So she asked me to help.  Her mom gave her the job of making one, and sent her a photo of one that someone made of poster board with scallops around the edges, and she didn't even know how to start.  LOL  SO, I took on the job for her.

I started with corrugated cardboard, those presentation boards.  I drew the shape on, and painted it.  It took a few coats of paint, especially the green color, because the green is more translucent than the blue.
 I wasn't going to outline the colors, but noticed that it looked a whole lot better with the outline on it.
 We went to get ice cream the other night, and noticed that the lids would make awesome headlights.  I painted those white and used some of that silver HVAC tape to put around the edges to hide that fact that they were lids, and to make them look like they had silver covers on them.  Also used some Ice Tea caps to make the marker lights.
 The cardboard was a little more flimsy than I'd like, so Phil helped me to cut out some wood pieces for supports.  And we also put knobs on a couple of the larger pieces so that people could hold it without holding the sides.
I cut out the tire cover out of a leftover piece of cardboard and cut the flower out of a piece of cardstock.

I'm really happy at how it turned out.  I would actually have made it out of a piece of plywood instead of the cardboard, but that would have made it a little heavy and cost more. 

No comments: