Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Aunt


Yesterday my aunt turned 84! I can't believe that she's 84. We were talking about how when she was young, she thought that when she turned 60 she wouldn't be getting around much anymore, and here she is in her 80's!

She has lived in San Francisco for much of her life. I can always remember visiting her in San Francisco, and seeing her at the different Cherry Blossom Festivals. She is so independant, and always told me to look for a good job with a good company so that you have a future for yourself. It's always fun to go to visit her because you hear so much about their life in Hawaii and what it was like to grow up on the Sugar Cane Plantation. I really need to start writing about their stories!

We went to Todai for her birthday. I hadn't been there in such a long time. It was better than the one we normally go to, Hokkaido. What I thought was neat about this restaurant is that they cook a lot of their meat on long skewers, then come to your table to see if you want anything off the skewers. I have never seen that before.

Then we went to her home, and for the first time, she showed me things in her apartment. Like different pieces of art in frames, she actually took scarves with cool japanese prints, and put them into frames. She also had a few frames of japanese paper art. Someone created neat scenes with washi paper for her. And of course I loved seeing the paintings my other aunt has done. My Aunty Dorothy used to live in Japan for awhile when she was in the military. And she did some really beautiful paintings of some of the places in Japan. I'll have to take pictures of them the next time I go to visit.

It made me realize how lucky I am to have such creative people in my life.

No comments: