Sunday, April 22, 2007

Pagodas...

Today I went to visit the Aunties that are visiting here from Hawaii. It's always great cause I get to hear stories that I don't normally hear about when they're not here. Like my grandparents used to make Saimin noodles, and my grandpa made a machine by scratch cause he was a blacksmith for the sugar plantations. Ok, never told that story before. LOL

One thing I did know was that my grandfather used to make these really cool concrete Pagoda statues. I remember going to Kauai, and seeing them all over the island. We would always see one and say: Grandpa made that!!

Well, come to find out, he actually made the molds that he used to make the pagodas. I remember that, before he died, he came to visit us for a few weeks to teach my dad how to make them. We would go into the garage shop, and watch them make them every day. It was always so cool to me to watch them. My grandfather only spoke Japanese, so we didn't understand what he was saying most of the time, but it was cool to be there while he was teaching my dad.

Of course it was one of those things they were handing down from father to son. But since my dad didn't have any sons, and my uncle didn't pass on the knowledge to his sons before he died, there was no way that it would be passed on to an Ehara.

So, I asked my dad today if he could teach me how to make them. I figure that the knowledge has to be passed on somehow. And if any other Ehara doesn't want to know, at least it won't end on our end. :)

And my dad isn't getting any younger, so I'd better learn now before all knowledge is lost.

So, I know that I don't have a ton of time online lately, but I think this is really important to do. Not sure when we'll start, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mel I think that is the coolest thing you could do. I really regret not finding out more things before my parents and the rest of my family passed away. I hope you'll share what you learn. You are awesome to do this!