Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sense and Sensibility

Today I watched the BBC 3 part miniseries of Sense and Sensibility. It's one of my favorite Jane Austen books. I missed it when Masterpiece theatre played it on PBS, so I borrowed it from the library. And let me tell you, if you like the book and the movie, you'll love this.

I loved the film Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. And wondered how I'd like the miniseries compared to it. I LOVED the miniseries. Since it was a 3 part miniseries, they were able to add more parts from the book (well, and not from the book) in the series. There were scenes that the movie didn't cover, and of course, scenes that didn't make it from the movie or book.

I loved their choices of characters. I thought that Hattie Morahan made a wonderful Elinor. And Charity Wakefield was a perfect choice for Marianne. Dan Stevens' portrayal as Edward was an excellent choice. In the movie I felt Hugh Grant was a little out of place as Edward. But Dan Stevens gave the character a little more depth. You could see why Elinor has fallen in love with him.

I also loved their choice of Dominic Cooper as Willoughby. You could see that his character really did love Marianne. Where you really weren't quite sure in the movie version.

And of course I love the Colonel Brandon character, and eventhough I loved Alan Rickman, I mean how can you not? I thought that David Morrissey did a fine job as well.

Anyway, I could go more into depth with the miniseries, but if you love Jane Austen, just go out and rent it (or borrow from the library). You'll love it! :)

No comments: