Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Andagi (Japanese Donuts)

Today I made Andagi or Malasadas or Japanese Donuts. LOL When we were kids, my mom used to make these, especially when company would come over. We really loved it when she made these! I've made them before and they were ok, but with the deep fryer, they turn out really good cause you can regulate the oil temperature. (Boy, that sounded really geeky. LOL)Here are the Andagi frying in the fryer. for some reason, some of them would explode. Not sure why. Made them look a bit funky, but they still tasted good. :)

Here's a whole plate of them. I put them in a bag with sugar and shake shake shake them till they are covered in sugar. This works best when there is not a hole at the bottom of the bag. LOL I think I have to use sturdier bags next time, not lunch bags. ;)

Here's the recipe in case you're interested:

Andagi (Sweet Okinawan Doughnut)


Yield: 1/2 to 3 dozen doughnuts

oil for deep frying
3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk

Heat oil to 375 F. Sift dry ingredients together. Combine eggs and
milk; add to dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls
into heated oil. Cook about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain
on paper towels. Serve warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....just had some coated with cinnamon and sugar.

Melanie E said...

oh yummy! Aren't they so good!

Tommie said...

it is okinawan, i think. well it IS japanese then! we call is Age donuts. Age means fried.

Melanie E said...

:) I never heard that they were called age donuts. Now that makes sense that Age sushi is with the fried tofu skins. ;)

Tommie said...

my grandma loved Age suzhi ( Age zushi) - she cooked it so much i became not to like them any more...

Melanie E said...

LOL Age sushi is my favorite, but I don't have them all the time. I like how my mom makes it with all the veggies in the rice. The restaurants here make it with just a tiny bit of rice. No fun! LOL