Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Reuse Jeans skirt

Today I spent the morning making a Skirt from an old pair of Ashley's jeans. They were hand-me-downs (or since she's younger, hand-me-ups?). Anyway, Debi G. told me that Alex needed a skirt, and she is just about my size. So I thought I'd make a skirt for her out of the pair of jeans. Above is the front of the skirt, below is the back.
I found the idea from a book called "Sew Subversive: Down and Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista" by Rannels, Alvarado, & Meng. It's a really cool book with lots of ideas on how to make your old clothes into something new and fashionable.

There's supposed to be a ruffle on the bottom, but since Alex is totally not a girlie girl, I thought I'd leave it off unless she decides she wants it on there.

What you would do is to cut the skirt to whatever length you wish, rip the inside seams open and sew down the flaps on the front. This pair of jeans had a hole in the front, so I didn't have much of a flap. Then you pretty much cut a piece of material to fit in the middle section, and sew it up.

You'd then sew a ruffle on the bottom. And the book has more detailed instructions than I am giving you. and I wanted to do more embellishing on the front. But I think I'll find another pair of jeans and do that to those.

2 comments:

Tommie said...

thanks for reminding me! i have some old pairs that i need to do the same thing to. the prob is where did i put them?!

Melanie E said...

I know the feeling! I have a couple of other ideas for skirts that I want to do now, it's a ton of fun!