Friday, March 13, 2009

It's just the techie in me...

I've been having a hard time with drawing graphics on the computer. And I think it's just the techie in me. I have been mechanical drawing since I was in High school. Yes, with pencil and a straight-edge. I took drafting classes in college, all pre-AutoCAD. We used pencil and a drafting machine and in special cases, mylar and ink.

When AutoCAD came out oh too many years ago, it was just too way cool for me. I could draw on the computer. And of course the drawings we were doing were precise. Meaning we had tolerances of +/- .00005 when I worked for the measurement equipment company. And more lax tolerances of +/- .005. LOL

So when it comes to making drawings, it's been really tough for me. I'm so used to making the endpoints of lines snap to the ends of others. And if I want to make a straight line, the dog-gone line is straight!

So I've been having a REAL hard time adjusting to, "OH, let's just put the line here, and maybe it will come out straight, maybe not, but it looks good." What is up with that? LOL

I found a solution for me. AutoCAD will export drawings to .bmp files....YAY! And it will import .jpg files so I can draw over them. OMG, if it wasn't for that, I'd have a REAL hard time making a drawing. LOL I'm so much faster with AutoCAD than with paintshop. It's too funny.

1 comment:

axolotl9 said...

ha! you're never going to escape Measuring & Positioning! (or Six Degrees, or whatever :)